Process begins at week 14 of the pregnancy.  Once the case is filed, the issuance of the judgment can vary depending on the county in which the case is filed.

Married Hetero Couple

Unmarried Hetero Couple

Married Same-Sex Couple

Unmarried Same-Sex Couple

Single Parent

One Bio Connection

Two Bio Connections

No Bio Connections


Yes; the certified copy should be provided to the hospital birth certificate clerk.  The hospital will then fax it to Dixie Tanner in the Birth Registrations section of the Vital Records office who will then walk the hospital through on how to complete the birth record.

The judgment should include the name of the child (if available), the Intended Parent's name, date of birth, place of birth, and race.

Dixie Tanner, Birth Registrations


Birth Certificates

Timing - Varies by county, but the typical time frame is 3-4 weeks.

Title - Parents can choose to be listed as father, parent, or mother.

GC - The initial birth certificate can include the name of the GC with the name of an IP.  The birth certificate may potentially be revised to remove the name of the GC.

statutes / case law

Gestational Surrogacy is permitted as there is no statute or case law prohibiting it.

Is there a statute or published case law that addresses the rights of a donor over the resulting eggs, sperm, embryo or child?  No.



County of the child's birthplace, county of the Intended Parent's residence, or county of the GC’s residence

Do results vary by venue?  Yes.

Are motions to waive venue accepted?  Unknown.

Electronic signatures / e-notarizaTIONS

Traditional signatures and traditional notarizations required.

Second / step parent adoptions

Can the non-biological parent in a same-sex couple obtain a second parent adoption based solely on the fact that the child was born in the state (i.e., neither of the Intended Parents lives in the state)?  No.

Will courts grant second parent adoptions or stepparent adoptions to heterosexual couples living in the state?  Yes.

Does the couple need to be married?  Yes, the couple must either be married or registered domestic partners.
Will courts grant second parent adoptions or stepparent adoptions to same-sex couples living in the state? 

Does the couple need to be married?  N/A.

Of Counsel

Ashley White Pittman

Stubblefield & Yelverton, PLLC

1400 Meadowbrook Road, Ste. 102

Jackson, MI 39211

(601) 936-4910