Process begins at week 14 of the pregnancy.  Once the case is filed, the issuance of the judgment is typically 10-14 business days.

Married Hetero Couple

Unmarried Hetero Couple

Married Same-Sex Couple

Unmarried Same-Sex Couple

Single Parent

One Bio Connection

Two Bio Connections

No Bio Connections

ACCEPTANCE OF CALIFORNIA Judgment of parentage


GC is listed as "mother"at time of birth; no birth certificate is issued with her name, unless it's requested in a Judgment of Parentage.

Following the birth, send Deborah Draghia (deborah.l.draghia@state.or.us) the following items:

  • Certified Judgment of Parentage
  • Completed Adoption Information or Legal Parent Information Sheet
  • Birth Record Order Form + photocopy of Intended Parent's ID (or Intended Parent's attorney's ID)
  • Check/money order for $90.00 ($35 amendment fee + $25 per certified birth certificate + $30 expedite fee)
  • Prepaid FedEx return label and envelope

Expedited Requests:

Oregon Vital Records

Attn:  Debbie Draghia

800 NE Oregon Street, Room 205

Portland, OR 97232


Regular Mail Requests:

Oregon Vital Records

Attn:  Debbie Draghia

PO Box 14050

Portland, OR 97293

Birth Certificates

Timing - Standard processing time frame is 6 weeks unless expedited.  Expedited requests are processed within 3 days of receipt by Deborah Draghia

Title - Parents can choose to be listed as father, parent, or mother.

GC - Unknown if the initial birth certificate can include the name of the GC with the name of an IP.

statutes / case law

Gestational Surrogacy is permitted as there is no statute or case law prohibiting it.

Is there a statute or published case law that addresses the rights of a donor over the resulting eggs, sperm, embryo or child?  Yes. 


County of the child's birthplace, county of the Intended Parent's residence, or county of the GC’s residence.

Do results vary by venue?  No.

Are motions to waive venue accepted?  Yes.

Electronic signatures / e-notarizaTIONS

Traditional signatures and traditional notarizations or electronic signatures and electronic notarizations are accepted.

Second / step parent adoptions

Can the non-biological parent in a same-sex couple obtain a second parent adoption based solely on the fact that the child was born in the state (i.e., neither of the Intended Parents lives in the state)?  Yes, but only if the Gestational Carrier has resided in the state for the preceding 6 months.

Will courts grant second parent adoptions or stepparent adoptions to heterosexual couples living in the state?  Yes.

Does the couple need to be married?  No.
Will courts grant second parent adoptions or stepparent adoptions to same-sex couples living in the state?  

Does the couple need to be married?  No.

of counsel

Susan C. Moffet

Attorney at Law, PC

916 SW 17th Street, Ste. 201

Redmond, OR 97756

(541) 316-7150