parentage and citizenship
Switzerland will recognize a US birth certificate or US Parentage Order/Judgment.
Swiss counsel for the parent(s) will require the following documentation to naturalize the child(ren):
- Certified US Parentage Judgment/Order with an Apostille
- Certified US Birth Certificate with an Apostille
- Notarized Post Birth Affidavit signed by the GC reaffirming she does not desire any parental rights to the child(ren)
- DNA Test
- A Copy of the GC's Marriage Certificate (if applicable)
** Any US judgment establishing parentage should be a pre-birth or post-birth judgment and not an adoption decree or make any reference to an adoption.
GC Matching Criteria / Complex Cases
Swiss counsel must advise before any match is approved for any clients falling in the following categories:
- No biological connection(s)
- The parent(s) has other nationalities/connections with other countries (they may need advice in those countries if they want to secure nationality for their child there)
**A match involving an unmarried GC does simplify the process for establishing the child(ren)'s Swiss citizenship.
The US birth certificate should reflect what the parent(s) would like the Swiss birth certificate to state.
For clarification purposes, a US birth certificate listing a same-sex couple is acceptable.
Returning to Switzerland / Clearing Immigration
Parent(s) may use either the EU or non-EU immigration line.
Parent(s) should have the following documents with them when clearing immigration:
- US Birth Certificate
- US Parentage Judgment/Order